fredag 25 september 2020

Information flow (33)

It is November 1995 and I am on one of my many trips to China. Often leaving Sweden for three weeks each time to have enough time to do my business in Asia. In 1995 there is no internet over the phone, no Instagram, no Facebook and no fast flying news. To get world news I have to turn on the fat TV in my hotel room and watch CNN or BBC to know what is going on around the world.

Imagine my surprise when I one evening, the 17th of November, hear news about Gothenburg. In one night it has snowed more than 50 cm. Maybe not so much up in the north of Sweden, but in Gothenburg it is a lot. Electricity is out, phone lines are out and people are skiing in the city center. I try calling my wife, but only get disconnecting signals. Of course I get worried. My family is in the middle of this and I cannot get hold of them. Later in the day I find out that they have been able to walk to my father-in-law who still has electricity. Everyone is safe.

Today this sounds very odd. News and information are flying around the globe with the speed of lightning. We get more information than we need. With the Covid-19 and economic crises everywhere I would actually like to go back to the level of 1995.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar