fredag 29 januari 2021

Learning the skills! (48)

Same as when I grew up, our children have heard endless discussions during dinner about Soft Touch and how to make a good deal. As a parent you have no idea if they listen or what they learn from it.

When our daughter is eleven, she wants to buy a new digital camera. To get enough money she wants to sell her old one. I have never really seen the charm of a digital camera. I have always been more of an old-fashioned guy when it comes to taking pictures. But, now I have a chance to buy one for a good price.

Our daughter does her research online and comes back with a price. I bargain like crazy and finally I get it at a much lower price. I am a bit surprised that she doesn't look more disappointed. I go through the list of what I am buying: camera, memory stick, case. She nods at every word. Money changes hands.

When I am about to use the camera I discover that it is out of battery. I go back to my daughter and ask for the charger. "You never bought it", she says. "It is not on your list". With my head bowed I have to go and get more money and buy the charger and my daughter now has a smile on her face.

Now I know for sure that they have been listening - and understanding - our discussions at the dinner table.




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar