fredag 24 juli 2020

Upgrading to a computer (24)

A few years back I managed to convince my father to buy a fax machine. Now the time has come to invest in a computer. The resistance is not as tough this time. His eyes start to sparkle when he hears about all the things a computer can do. When I finally have it in my office, my father has given the computer characteristics of abnormal proportions. Where did all this come from?

To help my father I will make a register over all the articles he is selling. When he gets the list he looks a little bit disappointed. "Is this all?", ha asks. I show him how I can sort everything by margin, amount, how many per kind etc. Still not impressed. "Can you ask it what I should buy to earn more money?", he then asks. I look in dismay. It is not a machine that can predict the future that I have just bought. He shakes his head and leaves my office, not impressed at all. It took some time to convince him that it was still better than handwritten lists.

When you look at what you can do with a computer today, I think he would have been happier. But back then there were still limitations as what you could use it for. It has been a long journey and the IT-side of business has come a long, long way!




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar