fredag 21 februari 2020

Life lesson (3)

We all stand in a line for the twentieth time. It is freezing cold. A November day, one of the first when the temperature has gone below zero degrees. The lieutenant shouts at us again, giving us orders to run, do push-ups, run, do push-ups and it is never ending. Finally I have had enough and raise my hand. "Sorry, but I think we should be allowed to stop now. We know the drill and have done it so many times!" The stare he gives me could scare any man. "015 Cederkvist, do you know who is in charge here? Go and volunteer for wood chopping." One hour later I see my friends go into the warm cabins. My back hurts and so do my arms and hands. 

Did I learn from the lesson? No, it took some time, and a lot of wood chopping and digging. The boy had to become a man. Had to learn to follow orders and become one part in a bigger picture, a bigger machinery. It was a tough lesson, but I would  not have missed of for the world.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar